Michelle Townsend is back with another easy-as-pie recipe.
For those college students who live at home, coming home after a long and tedious day of lectures to a nice, warm dinner is a comfort and a sure-fire way to brighten up anyone's day. However, for students who have moved out for college, cooking can be somewhat of a chore - the last thing you want to do after a hard day of attending lectures is to come home and preprare a meal for yourself.
But it doesn't have to be this way! I'm here to save the day and provide you with easy and satisfying recipes you can whip up in no time. Fear not, these simple recipes are incredibly easy to prepare and taste delicious. It will take you no time to cook these dinners in the evening and they will definitely leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Spag bol is a staple in every Irish student’s diet and it’s easy to see why - it requires little effort and tastes delicious. However, instead of using a jar of bolognese sauce, try the sauce in this recipe - it’s much healthier and tastes just as good as any brand out there.
● Penne pasta (or whichever is your favourite)
● Beef mince
● Chopped tomatoes
● OXO Beef stock cubes
● Tomato puree
● 1 large onion
● 1 garlic clove
● Mixed herbs
1. Thinly slice onion and garlic clove.
2. Boil pasta in a large pot for 20 minutes.
3. Fry mince, onion and garlic in a large pot until nicely browned.
4. Add tin of chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of tomato puree and 2 teaspoons of mixed herbs to the mince, onion and garlic. Bring to the boil for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Drain the pasta.
6. Serve pasta on a dish and spoon the mince and sauce mixture on top and it’s ready to serve.
If you don’t consider cooking one of your special talents, the thought of it can be very daunting. However, easy recipes such as these make for nutritious and tasty meals as well as a sense of achievement and independence. It also makes those meals cooked for you at home on the weekend extra special. Happy cooking!
Still here? Read next: Student Cooking 101: Chicken Curry